The O.B.C. is a registered charity with a history of serving the community for 120 years.
Based in Bermondsey South East London the organisation is made up of two constituent parts, the OBC Youth Club and the Stansfeld OBC.
The primary focus of our work is the provision of youth activities promoting social & personal development for young people between the ages of 7 - 25yrs.
The Stansfeld OBC is a Community Social & Sports Club.
Set up in 1911 the club is run entirely by its members, originally to provide a continuation of service for ex-members of the youth club. Nowdays membership is open to all with no previous connection to the OBC required.
The Stansfeld OBC provides a vibrant community hub for people to meet and socialise. Sporting activities have been a mainstay of the clubs activities and this continues today with darts & football teams
Events and activities are organisaed throughout the year to provide a focus for local people to come together.
HISTORY OF THE O.B.C
The origins of the O.B.C. dates back to 1897 with the establishment of the Oxford Medical Mission (O.M.M.),
a small dispensary located in Abbey Street SE1 (just a short walk from our current facility in Webb St ) by Dr John Stansfeld.
THE OXFORD PASTORATE
Stansfeld's calling to Bermondsey was facilitated by the Oxford Pastorate (OP) of which he was a member.
Founded by Francis Chavasse the principle of Wycliffe Hall and Bishop of Liverpool it was the OP's first Chaplain Henry Gibbon who led the initial expedition to Bermondsey along with Stansfeld and Edwyn Barclay (Head of Barclay & Perkins Brewery in Park Street Southwark).
THE MEN FROM OXFORD
Stansfeld returned regularily to Oxford in order to recruit willing associates to assist with all aspects of the Mission.
These helpers were to include some of the most famous names of the 19th century (see notaries below)
O.B.C. Youth Activities in the 1940's
THE O.B.C. IN BERMONDSEY
The O.B.C. has operated from a number of properties since 1897 all of which have been within Bermondsey.
The organisation has been at the current location since 1984 moving from the Pages Walk site it had occupied since the mid 1940's.
WEBB STREET SE1
The purchase of land and building of the current facility in Webb Street spearheaded an Urban Renewal Redevelopment Plan for the area which was incredibly run down at the time.
Incorporated within the plan for the area was the establishment of a sports pitch (Swanmead MUGA) and the redevelopment of the Arundle building which had stood unoccupied and derelict for some considerable time.
Messages of support for a move to the current site included those from The then Archbishop of Canterbury Robert Runcie
and former O.B.C. boys club member Tommy Steele.
Click on the links below for more information about key figures in the history of the O.B.C.
The O.B.C. is extremely grateful for the support it receives working in partnership with the following;
CFIELD CONSTRUCTION LTD
CUT FILMS BEDE YOUTH ADVENTURE
BERMONDSEY & ROTHERHITHE COMMUNITY COUNCIL
BRIGHTON BUILDINGS COOPERATIVE
BRIGHT SOJOURNER NURSERY DEPAUL SOCIETY DRAGON SCHOOL OXFORD FOOTBALL FUN LTD
GRANGE PRIMARY SCHOOL
GRANGE WARD SAFER NEIGHBOURHOODS TEAM
GREGGS HADDON HALL
IXION HOLDINGS LTD
JERWOOD GALLERY JIMMY ASHER FOUNDATION
LONDON YOUTH METROPOLITAN POLICE
MILLWALL COMMUNITY SCHEME
PECAN SOUTHWARK COUNCIL YOUTH & PLAY SERVICE
SOUTHWARK COMMUNITY COUNCIL TESCO THE COURT LEET OF THE KINGS MANOR IN SOUTHWARK
THE WORSHIPFUL COMPANY OF PIPE MAKERS
ULTRA FIT SOLUTIONS UNICORN THEATRE UNITED ST SAVIOURS CHARITY
THE O.B.C. COUNCIL OF MANAGEMENT
ALEXANDER THURGOOD - HONORARY LIFE PRESIDENT
CANNON OWEN BEAMENT M.B.E. - PRESIDENT
PETER HOLMES - CHAIR
GRAHAM SHARP - TRUSTEE
BRIAN ALMOND - TRUSTEE
DAMIAN O'BRIEN - TRUSTEE
MICHAEL SITU - TRUSTEE